Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.

Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.
Image by Cameron Lyall, GNU license Wikimedia

22 July 2011

Good Times in Scotland


I chose memorable pictures from my time in Dundee and Edinburgh and not just the tourist pictures. There are some pictures from places we toured but they are pictures that I especially liked. Then I chose the music because I continually go back and forth between Dundee and Edinburgh, as Edinburgh is my favorite city besides Dundee. I like the cities for different reasons, however.

I like Dundee because it's home. I like to walk around it and just be here. I like to learn and this town is just full of things to discover. This is what makes Dundee post industrial. They have moved past their industrial foundation with teaching people about Dundee's past. Edinburgh also relies on tourism, but not for the same reason.

Edinburgh has always been a seat of power. So while tourism is a way to enter the post industrial age, Edinburgh is just showing what has always been there. Since it's always been there, Edinburgh didn't need to build an interest in its history. Because of this, Edinburgh is full of tourists. I like Edinburgh because of its history and the things to see there, but I wouldn't want to live there or go to school there, because it is so inundated with tourists.

So although Dundee and Edinburgh are partially supported by tourism, both cities have different reasons for doing so. This makes them very different places, but I appreciate and am fond of both places. This video is a compilation of some of my favorite memories.

2 comments:

salvo said...

Copyright block: back to Larry Lessig:
http://www.ted.com/talks/larry_lessig_says_the_law_is_strangling_creativity.html

Kelli Barnett said...

Zach helped me make both videos smaller so that they could be embedded.