Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.

Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.
Image by Cameron Lyall, GNU license Wikimedia

01 July 2011

The Importance of Initial Neutrality



When entering any situation, I like to remain neutral (ideally).

Visiting the Falkirk Wheel was a test of my neutrality.

This megaproject has its pluses and minuses, like anything does. Drawing from my journalistic background, I briefly researched it before making the trip and tried to hear everyone's opinion before forming my own. Upon arrival, some of my classmates expressed their skepticism about the wheel's purpose, while others praised it. Responses were all across the board.

After listening to an introduction of the project, riding it and watching its informational video, I observed my fellow travelers' reactions. On the whole, many were disappointed at its cost and purely recreational use. On the other hand though, people saw it as an engineering marvel and the possible savior of the Scottish canal system.

If one wants to decide if this is the messianic deliverer for the canal system, I would suggest visiting the wheel, taking a ride and learning what locals think about it. Educating oneself on a variety of subjects is the wisest way to begin any professional writing project. If this is neglected, one can get in a lot of trouble, along with experiencing the displeasure of being uninformed.

No comments: