Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.

Falkirk Wheel, Panoramic view.
Image by Cameron Lyall, GNU license Wikimedia

21 July 2011

My Wrap Up Post: Why We Should Map The Next Wave of Global Change

Remember that lecture about the one man Scottish literary revolution? There wasn't really one going on, but he thought there should be one. By raising questions in the newspapers and publishing his own work, he managed to instigate change.

This whole time I've been in Scotland I've been watching the budding of new technology. Plans are hatching, construction sites are popping up and I feel like something is about to happen. Waiting and watching here in Scotland for the past six weeks, I've noticed the way things are starting to move towards. We're becoming mini-manufacturers. There's a demand for small runs of specialized items, customizable items.

But where do I come in? Do I just remain the creeper of Scotland, of the world? No. I'm a professional writer, a technical writer, a rhetorician. My skills lie in the area of writing and communication. I can be the one man revolution. If I see something here that I think is important for our future as human beings, I should document is, disseminate it, take a bullhorn and announce it.

I learned in Scotland that I should map the next wave of global change because I can instigate that change. I can help change to happen when I think it should happen. I can be the midwife for the birth of the Post-Industrial Revolution. That's not to say that I'm not going to graduate and get a job writing instructions and documentation for some small bit of tech at company X. I'm going to do that, and I'm looking forward to it. But I have a voice, on the internet, with my friends and colleagues, with my employers. And I also have the power of persuasion and rhetoric.

If there's anything I learned on this trip, it's that the right word, the right idea, at the right time and the right place, can start something wonderful. Post-Industrial is groups of people getting together with fresh new ideas and creating small businesses and services with those ideas. But success or failure depends on people getting on board with these new ideas. That's how the Falkirk Wheel came to be, and that's how the new waterfront and the VNA will come to Dundee.

I've got to watch these changes, map these movements, so I can help my generation succeed. Thanks for the inspiration Scotland. I'm going to go facilitate a technological, environmental, social revolution now. See ya later.

No comments: